POSTNATAL doula support
For families with a new baby.
What is a postnatal doula?
Support for newborn families
Traditionally, families would have the support of the extended family and community during this important stage, however the way we live now mean families are often more spread out and lives busy, while the need for help remains. Doula support can nurture the mother and support the father during this intense time of change; offering whatever combination of practical and emotional support is needed for the birth and postnatal care.
Postnatal doula support aims to assist family bonding with a newborn. The first weeks with a new baby is a time of transition, healing and adaptation for the whole family. It’s important that new parents take care of themselves in order to care for their new baby. I’m happy to help families during this transition period, as well as further into the first year of parenting as needed, my definition of 'postnatal' is a bit longer than others.
How does it work?
Think of me as more of a "mothers' help" than as an expert coming in to do or fix things. I will be guided by your needs and wishes (and I’m happy to clean the dishes).
We can chat about what help would most benefit you – birth debriefing if your birth experience is running through your mind, help with light housework (e.g. washing up and laundry), simple home cooking, providing information on baby wearing, support with breastfeeding, time to have a bath or eat lunch with both hands, massage, yoga, a listening ear and giving time and space for mum (and dad) to rest and recuperate.
NB This is not to take care of baby, but to help you find your way in the early days. It’s a similar approach to the Dutch ‘kraamzorg’ as described in The Independent.
£15 per hour (minimum 2 hour booking)
Worried about money?
Talk to me about options for payment / skill exchange / concessionary rates.
Get the help you need with your newborn.
Emilie has a digital DBS that you are welcome to check online.
Pregnancy and Postnatal specialist
Nurturing Birth Doula
Trained with Nurturing Birth Doulas in 2012.
Relaxed Birth & Parenting
Trained with Relaxed Birth & Parenting in 2008.
Birth Crisis Training
I trained with Sheila Kitzinger in 2012.
Pregnancy and Postnatal Massage
Classes and Workshops
1. Block Bookings (i.e. a set of classes) are non refundable. This is so we can all commit to coming to classes weekly and ensures that the hall booking is covered.
2. Private Classes will be refunded or rescheduled if 3 full days notice is given, a 30% refund or alternative booking will be offered if more than 24 hours notice is given.
3. Concessionary Discounts are available - please discuss with Emilie to get a discount code.
4. A booking is confirmed once motherslove and the client have both agreed a date, time, duration and location for a the class.
5. motherslove reserves the right to refuse admission.
6. motherslove has the right to alter the programme or teaching staff if circumstances are beyond their control.
7. If a class or workshop has to end or is interrupted for reasons beyond our control sessions will not be refunded.
8. Latecomers may be admitted at the discretion of management and teacher/workshop leader.
9. Our timetable may be subject to change during the school holidays.
10. Refunds will be issues or an alternative offered is sessions are cancelled by motherslove.
Massage1. All treatments provided by motherslove will last for the specified duration purchased - consultation is an important part of the treatment and will for part of the time.
2. Treatments will only be conducted if motherslove deems the treatment safe for the client to receive.
3. GP/Consultant permission may be required before treatments can be provided.
4. motherslove reserves the right to terminate a treatment immediately if the client demonstrates inappropriate behavior.
5. Payment will be collected for the full treatment price, provided more than 10 minutes has been spent massaging the client.
6. If the therapist is unable to collect money before leaving, an invoice will be sent to the client’s address.
7. All invoices must be paid within 7 days of issue date.
8. A booking is confirmed once motherslove and the client have both agreed a date, time, duration and location for a treatment.
9. If a cancellation is made more than 24 hours before a treatment, the client will not be charged.
10. If a cancellation is made within 24 hours of the treatment, they will be expected to pay a cancellation fee for each hour cancelled.
11. The cancellation fee must be paid within 7 days of the cancellation.
12. motherslove has the right to cancel a treatment by giving 24 hours notice.
13. motherslove has the right to cancel a treatment without notice if the room or environment is unsuitable for the treatment to be provided, or if the therapist is taken ill.
14. motherslove commits to rearranging treatments to a new time and date within two weeks of the cancelled treatment where possible.
motherslove is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified when using this website, you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
motherslove may change this policy from time to time by updating this page. You should check this page from time to time to ensure that you are happy with any changes.
What we collectWe may collect the following information:
namebasic information about your baby (e.g. name / age)contact information including email addressemergency contact including GP/midwife detailsdemographic information such as postcode, preferences and interestsother information relevant to customer surveys and/or offers
What we do with the information we gather:
We require this information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, and in particular for the following reasons:
Internal record keeping.
• We may use the information to improve our products and services.• We are obliged to keep records secure and confidentially held for 7 years.• We may periodically send promotional emails about new products, special offers or other information which we think you may find interesting, using the email address which you have provided.• From time to time, we may also use your information to contact you for market research purposes. We may contact you by email, phone, fax or mail. We may use the information to customise the website according to your interests.
We will NOT allow this information to be used by third parties
SecurityWe are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.